The more time you spend working on a roof, the easier it is to overlook the steps you must take to maintain a high level of safety. Unfortunately, if you make even one mistake, it can result in a serious accident and injuries.
Here are some roofing safety tips to follow at all times:
- Ask for help: If you need help, regardless of the reason, ask a coworker to assist you. For example, if you’re concerned about moving a heavy load once you’re on the roof, take a step back to ensure that you implement a safety plan.
- Take extra caution with your ladder: Many roofing accidents don’t happen on the roof itself. Instead, they occur when climbing up or down on a ladder. Maintain three points of contact and be sure to place your ladder on solid, level ground.
- Use a safety harness: Even the most experienced workers should wear a safety harness at all times. It can save your life or protect against serious injury in the event that you slip off the roof.
- Wear the right shoes: It’s a must that your shoes are in good condition, which means that they are dry and have plenty of traction.
- Watch for bad weather: For instance, in New Jersey, rain can move into the area quickly. If this happens, safely remove yourself from the roof.
Even if you follow these roofing safety tips, you could still suffer an injury in an accident. If this happens, receive medical treatment, let your supervisor know what went wrong and look into your ability to file a claim for workers’ compensation benefits.