Sharing the road with commercial trucks is easier said than done, as these large vehicles take up a lot of space. When you combine this with the fact that some truckers don’t follow the rules of the road, it’s not always easy to maintain your safety.
Here are five steps you can take to protect against an accident with a commercial truck:
- Avoid blind spots: The areas behind and directly next to a commercial truck have limited visibility. You don’t want to drive in these areas for too long.
- Illegal passing or lane change: For example, never pass a commercial truck in the right lane. Also, don’t abruptly change lanes in front of a commercial truck.
- Don’t drive between two commercial trucks: There are times when you get stuck in this position, but you should remove yourself as quickly as possible.
- Don’t merge too slowly: If you don’t get up to speed quickly upon merging, a truck may not be able to stop before striking you from behind.
- Avoid aggressive truckers: Most truckers obey the rules of the road, but some are entirely too aggressive. Let these individuals go up the road ahead, as doing so creates enough distance to keep you safe.
Even if you take these steps to protect against an accident, a commercial trucker could still make a mistake that puts you in a compromising position. If this happens, move to safety and check yourself for injuries. You can then call 911, receive treatment, file an insurance claim and take steps to receive compensation from the negligent party.