1. Home
  2.  | 
  3. Workers’ Compensation
  4.  | Injuries To Minors

My Child Suffered An Injury At Work. What Now?

For many minors, getting their first job is a rite of passage (and often a necessity) that goes with getting a driver’s license and many other milestones. Typically, these jobs are entry-level, whether they involve fast food or another aspect of customer service. Nevertheless, accidents can happen anywhere. So what can you do if the unthinkable has happened – if your child was injured at work?

At Fedele & Honschke Attorneys at Law, LLC, we can walk you through this difficult process, having assisted clients in Ocean County and throughout New Jersey with the same or similar issues, recovering significant amounts of compensation in the meantime to help with medical bills and other expenses.

How Is An Injury To A Minor Treated Differently?

Should a minor suffer a serious injury or illness at work, he or she is entitled to the same workers’ compensation benefits as any other employee. However, there are some differences to keep in mind.

Namely, the employer has to have complied with child labor laws. If that’s not the case, workers’ compensation awards in New Jersey are doubled.

In addition, an injured minor can forego the workers’ compensation process and pursue compensation in a typical personal injury manner, whereas an of-age employee does not have that right. Pursuing a personal injury claim could open doors to greater compensation, but the process would involve proving, among other things, negligence on the part of the employer.

How We Can Help

Our lawyers can help evaluate the injury and how it occurred, relying on decades of experience to help you pursue the best course of action, whether that involves workers’ compensation or a personal injury claim.

To contact us, call 732-504-3841 to schedule a free initial consultation. We also can be reached toll-free at 888-898-1206 or via our contact form. We have offices in Brick, Forked River and Toms River.