What You Need To Know To Protect Your Rights
A workplace injury can have a lasting effect on your health and well-being. If you are an injured New Jersey worker, knowing what to do in the aftermath of an accident is crucial to receiving adequate compensation.
Here at Silvi, Fedele & Honschke Attorneys at Law, L.L.C., our team of workers’ compensation lawyers have experience representing those harmed due to workplace accidents. Over the past 30 years, our law firm has obtained settlements and verdicts in excess of $75 million for clients in Ocean County, Monmouth County and throughout New Jersey.
Your Actions Make A Difference
There are five tasks to complete if you are injured at work:
1. Immediately seek medical treatment. Receiving appropriate medical treatment is important. In addition to addressing serious injuries, having your injury assessed by a medical professional can help your case down the line.
2. Make your injury known to your employer. According to the New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development, it is essential to notify your employer about your injury as soon as possible. Although notice can be given verbally, it is best to seek out an authority figure within your workplace when providing this information.
3. Ensure that your doctor is approved by your employer. When making a request for treatment, be sure to check whether your doctor is covered by your employer’s insurance.
4. Compile documentation of the accident. Things like witness accounts, accident reports and medical records can be crucial to your case.
5. Refrain from posting on social media. Even seemingly harmless postings on social media can be used against you by your employer’s insurance agency. To this end, it is best to stop your social media use while the validity of your claim is being determined.
Additionally, it is important to file your claim in a timely manner, as a statute of limitations does apply to disability benefits.
We Are Here For You
At Silvi, Fedele & Honschke, our lawyers are dedicated to helping you go after the benefits you may be entitled to. We have offices in Brick, Forked River and Toms River. You can call 732-504-3841 to schedule a free initial consultation. We also can be reached toll-free at 888-898-1206 or via our online contact form.